Thursday, October 23, 2008

Another Weird Dream

I HAD A DREAM EARLY THIS MORNING that I was standing in line at a hospital. The hospital in my dream didn't look that much like a real hospital or even a TV hospital. It looked more like an information desk in the middle of a dimly lit mall. I was there with a friend, holding a green chit of paper in my hand and feeling very proud, because I was going to donate my heart to the hospital. I remember being really proud, full of myself really, that other people might be donating kidneys or eyes or whatever, but I was going to donate my heart.

The woman behind the counter wasn't really that impressed. Just another day at the office for her. She just looked at the green chit in my hand, shrugged and stamped it with a big rubber stamp. I looked at what she had stamped on this document that declared to everyone I was donating my heart.

It said, "oven-baked."

Then she gave me a whistle. Like a coach's whistle. It was like the lollipop a pediatrician might give to a kid after a visit.

"Here's your whistle," she said. "You can blow it all you want."

As if that's what I earned for my bravery to donate my heart: a free whistle and the license to blow it all I wanted.

I remember being a little disappointed by that.

1 comment:

Greta said...

Did you blow the whistle?

Because I looked it up. And if you hear the whistle this is what it means:

To hear a whistle in your dream, denotes that you will be shocked by some sad intelligence, which will change your plans laid for innocent pleasure.

Kinda the way I feel when I read your blog, mr. drake. :)