Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Marketing Advice

I LOVE ADVERTISING AS MUCH AS THE NEXT GUY. In fact, I do a lot of work in advertising, so, perhaps for the first time on this blog, I feel like I'm actually qualified to talk about the thing I'm about to talk about, which is this pairing of an embedded video and a Google Ad I came across on the Videogum website.



Look. Far be it from me to try to keep someone else from making a living. But I have to say, I'm not sure it's a good marketing ploy to try to win over the cannibal market, even though I know that the latest Zogby poll showed that appearance of their teeth among cannibals' top three concerns, falling just below the health of their teeth (#2) and the tenderness/deliciousness of their friends (#1).

But when you get right down to it, cannibals just don't represent that large a percentage of the population, maybe only one in three or one in four people considers themselves a cannibal. And most of those people, when polled, responded to the question "Do you consider yourself a cannibal?" with the answer "occasionally/socially" or "only when provoked."

I know this all probably makes me sound like a cannibalist, but I honestly feel like Best-Teeth-Whitening.com could be spending its marketing dollar more efficiently.