Friday, June 20, 2008

Box Office Idiot

A DARKNESS IS DESCENDING ON THE LAND! Or is it just me be overly dramatic? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it might have something to do with the release of two "comedies" this weekend. Oh boy. The Love Guru and Get Smart? What to say, or predict, about these two? Oy! It's hard for me to imagine a huge audience for either film. But I'll take a stab at it.

Get Smart
First of all, it's based on a TV show people remember as being funnier than it actually was, about a spy who succeeded even though he was actually sort of a bumbling idiot. Okay, so the task ahead of Get Smart is to make relevant a post-Cold War James Bond spoof six years after the third Austin Powers movie already beat that joke into the ground. It's a tough sell. Also, the ads for the movie weren't terribly funny and now they all seem to simply focus on the action. Hmmm. It doesn't feel like a vote of confidence. That said, Steve Carell is very funny and Anne Hathaway is charming and pretty. So maybe people will go see it? Hell, I don't know. Do I ever know?
Opening weekend: $35 million
Total take: $135 million

The Love Guru
Speaking of three Austin Powers movies...um, didn't I see all these jokes already? Only the main character had funny teeth instead of a funny wig and mustache? Is there anyone who wants to see this movie? I guess we'll find out in a couple days. In the meantime...
Opening weekend: $27 million
Total take: $91 million

2 comments:

Steven said...

Methinks you are being generous for the Love Guru. Excellent call on Get Smart being remembered as funnier than it was.

Foz the Hook said...

I think Love Guru only did $14 million. I am glad to pronounce you wrong and Steve right. Also, the Royals have won like 7 of 8 since you stopped caring about them. So, the more you are wrong the better the world gets (I have the same problem). Excellent work! Keep it up, Old Bean!