Monday, March 3, 2008

My Amazing Mental Powers!

IF THERE'S ONE THING MY WIFE ENJOYS, it's when I predict the box office success or failure of an upcoming film. I am, according to her estimation, batting 1.000 when it comes to prognostication. Which is to say, I am always wrong.

"It just doesn't seem like that second Pirates of the Caribbean movie is going to do any business. I don't feel like anyone is excited about seeing it."

"Who the hell did they even make Alvin & the Chipmunks for? People who are old enough to remember the Chipmunks won't want to relive it, and people who are too young to remember the original won't have any interest in the Jason Lee version."

"300? Seriously? C'mon, now. People are itching to see a movie about Sparta? Really? I don't believe it."

For the record, the movies mentioned above made $423 million, $213.6 million, $210.6 million. In fact, all three movies had HUGE opening weekends: $136 million, $44 million and $70.8 million, respectively. And the third Pirates movie made $309 million (not that I actually said anything about that one...but I was probably still tempted to).

Because of the magnitude of predictions like those above, she tends to ignore when I'm pretty close, like my negative prediction for Beowulf, which only brought in $82 million of its $150 million budget, or my accurate positive predictions for Knocked Up and Superbad.

Not that I blame her. When I'm wrong, I'm really, really wrong. Like as wrong as you could be. Then multiply that by one hundred.

Having said that...

I have a prediction for 10,000 B.C. And it's already been ballyhooed by my wife. Here it is:

"Nobody, NOBODY will go see 10,000 B.C. There is NO WAY that movie is a hit."

Chances are it'll be the box office smash of the season. Now that I've opened my big, stupid mouth.

No comments: