Thursday, November 20, 2008

What a Difference a Letter Makes

THANKS TO MY PAL STEVE for giving me the heads up on this beauty. A little police blotter item from the Gaston Gazette from Gaston County, North Carolina.



Oh, news typos! Why do I find you so entertaining? What I love most about this one is the simple displacement of one letter takes the headline from ordinary to hilarious. Just one letter.

It reminds me of when I was managing editor at a weekly newspaper in Kansas City. I had a restaurant reviewer who worked for me who was Asian and he was reviewing a Chinese restaurant. And in the review, he talked about the huge appetizer that he had eaten and how "it was more than enough for our people."

Now, he had simply left off the F of the word "four", just missed the key, I'm sure. But that didn't make it any less funny to me. "Dude," I wanted to say, "these reviews aren't just for your people. They are for everyone. Please try to be more inclusive."

I'll admit. I was tempted to leave it as is, so that it would get printed that way. But at that time I suffered from this condition known as "journalistic integrity."

Thank god we finally found a cure for that!

No comments: